Nearing the end of my last semester, I was feeling worn down. I was fully aware that my acceptance into the prestigious middle-years program was dependent solely on my GPA, but I was unable to push myself any further. I finished my year off fairly well with a half-decent GPA, but I was terrified that it was not going to be enough. I knew that if I didn't get in I would have to wait until the following year to reapply. That would mean that I would be another year away from having children, which simply wouldn't do. I am excited to be a teacher, but I am literally overjoyed at the thought of becoming a mother. To have to put that off for another year would be awfully sad. I pushed these fears aside and filled my summer with family visits and crocheting, which I desperately love. In those areas I had a wonderfully productive summer! I also finished my thank you cards from our wedding, which was over a year ago now. Embarrassing? Yes. But at least they're done.
On our first day of class, Dr. Robert Nellis defined stress as a point of uncertainty between two points of certainty. Oh but do I understand that well! I left my first point of certainty as soon as I wrote my last exam that fall. Past that point, I had no idea what would happen. I was hopeful that I would be accepted, but I was also trying to prepare myself for the worst. I know that it's the right thing to do, keeping your feet on the ground, but it's terrifying thinking about what might not happen.
One night, I was wasting my time on facebook when I saw that a friend of mine had been accepted into the middle years program. I was thrilled for her and her success, and I was gripped with fear. What if I didn't make it? I logged onto my U of A account, and looked for an email. I saw none. I glanced at a bar and it said that I needed to update my mail account. I clicked on the bar, beginning to feel defeated. I went through a somewhat lengthy process and updated my email account. When it was done, I saw that several emails were waiting for me, one of which being my letter of acceptance! I sat on the floor and couldn't believe that I'd done it. My second point of certainty was found, and I was no longer stressed! Stress was one of those words that I could feel but could not put into words. It's no often that I learn something on my first day of class!
No comments:
Post a Comment